Wednesday, September 8, 2010

This is it!

So today is the day.  I am actually 60.  Who knew it would happen when I still don't feel grown up.

Had lunch with a dear friend yesterday.  We celebrated our joint birthdays - hers is the 6th - on the 7th.  Aren't we clever for old folks?  She gave me all these funny gifts; pink curlers for wearing in public, a terry lined shower cap for wearing in public, a razor to remove my eyebrows and a pencil to draw them back in, bright red lipstick with directions to overdraw my lips, a Rain Hat With Full Visor designed for bouffant hairstyles, a sleep mask, and a blue and gold thong for the cheerleader of 2010.  She is so clever.  I got her a card and a sleeve of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.  So lame.  In spite of my lameness, we had a great lunch laughing all afternoon and ending with dinner with our hubbys.

So what am I thinking on this day?  I'd like to say something profound - but who are we kidding here - its me!  I have been so blessed in this life.  I've been a sister, wife (twice!), mother, step-mother, grandmother, great-grandmother, aunt, great aunt.... and I am still so annoyingly ordered that I tried to put the "titles" in order of occurrence and realizing how silly it is, stopped!

My sons are happy, healthy husbands and fathers (one is a grandfather!).  Any lasting and horrible mistakes Lew and I made raising them - they have been kind enough to keep to themselves - mostly.  So I don't know what they are - except I never let Dann play football.  Claims he was scarred by that :-).  I have been fortunate enough to be a part of Bill's children's lives, too.  They have included me in both their important life moments and their daily lives.  For that I am also very grateful.  Hmmmm, I wonder if there is any scarring there....... sure hope not.

So, that's it.  On this auspicious day, I am happy.  Life is good.  This blog is ended and a different one has started.  I was playing around with it about a month ago.  "One Year Left Before 60" only works until today.  Makes me think of the Plan Ahead sign where the e-a-d does not fit on the line.  Should have thought of a better title!  Then I wouldn't need a new one.

http://after60-lbj11.blogspot.com/


So this time it is "Life Happens After 60 Too" - who knows - I could live to 120!


Linda and Pepper circa 1953

4 comments:

scissorbill said...

Cute picture! I think you and my mom went to the same..um...barber.

Happy Birthday!

Jim said...

I don't think I've ever seen that picture. I can't believe you'd actually pick Pepper up. He attacked you often enough (with a bit of prompting from 3 older types}.

Jim said...

I'll bet this is the last entry ever, unless 60 is the new 39.

Eric and Wendy said...

Happy Bday Linda, I think you came to all the correct conclusions, and we are so lucky to have you in our lives. Your the best! (No scarring) Love Eric,Wendy & Nathan