Saturday, July 10, 2010

Grandma



59 days left!

This is my grandmother Jennie Hillegass Slotter. This was taken on or about her birthday in 1960 or '61. As the story goes - Daddy gave Mrs. Bauman some money to buy Grandma a glass of wine at her birthday dinner. They, Mrs. Bauman, Lucy Bauman Kern, baby Mark Kern, took her to the Collegeville Inn for Dinner.

It is the first color picture I remember seeing of Grandma.  Lucy Kern gave it to me 3 months ago .  Notice the “old” cars in the background!  Grandma died around 1965.   
 
Lucy and I were talking about aging today versus then.  Seems people like Grandma and Lucy's mother was a lot older at 65-70 than people are now.  She was probably the age I am now when I would travel on the bus to Allentown with her.  We would go to Hess's where Grandma would go to the exotic foods counter and buy some candy.  Next was Farrs shoes where we would put our feet in the xray contraption that showed you whether you had enough room in your shoes!  At some point we took a taxi to Grandma's doctor.  I went in the room with her and watched as she got what I can only guess were cortisone shots in her hands and knees.  The doctor would massage the "shot place" for a few seconds - was it painful?  I think it was. 

I just remember a much older woman than I think I am.  Yet she came and took care of us after Mom died.  That had to be hard.  She stepped into a grieving household of her son and the five kids.  I'm sure we didn't appreciate what she did.  Heck - who does appreciate their parents?

Anyway, for some reason I was thinking about her today.  It is good to see the photo of her.  Many memories came flooding back.  I often spent the night at her house.  It was good.

2 comments:

scissorbill said...

Neat picture!

Dave Johnson said...

I loved this story Linda...I would love to read more stories from your life like this. It seems that department stores used to play a bigger role in society than they do now. No more are the days of going to a soda fountain or window shopping at Christmas time. Its all instant gratification and bottom dollar on Amazon.com